You probably know that driving is a risky proposition, especially when you’re on the road alone or in the dark. But how much danger are you actually facing? If you live in Texas and drive on a regular basis, then you should be aware of how dangerous car accidents can be. There were almost 2 million car accidents in Texas alone in 2017. Of those crashes, over 5,000 people died and another 111,000 people suffered some sort of injury as a result. These statistics have left many wondering: Are there that many bad drivers in Texas? Or perhaps there’s something about the state’s roads that make them more prone to accidents than other states?
You might be surprised to learn just how many car accidents per day in Texas occur. But no matter where you live, knowing what causes these accidents can go a long way towards preventing them from happening again.
How Often Do Car Accidents Happen In Texas?
Although you may be surprised by the statistics, it’s important to understand that accidents will happen. When it comes to car accidents, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has reported that nearly one out of every 10 people will be involved in an accident in their lifetime. Drivers between the ages of 16 and 19 have a particularly high accident rate, averaging 5 times as many accidents per 10,000 miles driven compared to older drivers.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), there was an average of 658 car accidents every day in 2017. That’s one accident every 10 seconds! On any given day when you are on the road, there is a 1 in 10 chance that you will get into an accident. That’s definitely something you want to keep in mind when you hop in the car. These numbers show just how common car accidents really are. But just how many of these accidents are caused by human error? That’s what we’ll be talking about next.
What Are The Most Common Types Of Car Accident In Texas?
If you’re like most people who have been in a car accident, chances are you don’t actually know what type of car accident you were in. While driving, you may have been so focused on the road that you didn’t even realize what happened. But now that you’re no longer behind the wheel, you may be wondering what the accident actually was. Here are the most common types of car accidents in Texas:
- Head-On collisions – These types of accidents happen when two cars collide with each other head-on. Usually, this occurs when one car is going too fast and can’t properly brake in time.
- Rear-End collisions – Rear-end collisions are the most common type of car accident. This is when one car rear-ends the car in front of them.
- T-bone collisions – T-bone collisions happen when a vehicle fails to stop at a stop sign and collides with another vehicle.
- Single-vehicle accidents – Single-vehicle accidents occur when a car loses control and crashes as a result of improper lane changes or following too closely.
What Is The Most Common Causes For Car Accidents In Texas?
The most common cause of car accidents in Texas is distracted driving. Distracted driving refers to anything that takes your attention away from the road and the task of driving. This can include taking your eyes off the road or your hands off the wheel, using a cell phone or other device, eating or drinking while driving, or fidgeting with your child or pet in the back seat. Cell phone use is the most common cause of car accidents, and you can be sure that it’s a problem here in Texas. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that at any given moment, approximately 660,000 drivers are using their cell phones. What’s worse is that those drivers have a 27% higher risk of being involved in a car accident. Other car accident causes include:
- Driving too fast for road conditions – Driving too fast for conditions is the number one cause of car accidents. Excessive speeding is often caused by impatience, poor judgment, or a desire to “make up” time when you’re running behind.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs – Driving while intoxicated is illegal, and it’s also one of the most common causes of car accidents. Whether you’re driving drunk or stoned, or have taken prescription medications that make you drowsy, driving while impaired can result in serious car accidents. –
- Driving tired – Driving tired is dangerous, and can lead to serious car accidents. If you’re feeling tired while driving, pull over and get some sleep before resuming your journey.
Which Cities Have The Most Car Crashes In Texas?
According to a study by the TxDOT, these are the cities with the highest rates of car accidents:
- Houston – To answer what city in Texas has the most car accidents, Houston takes the first spot with the most car accident rate in Texas is Houston, with a rate of 5,980 per 100,000 people.
- Dallas – The city with the second highest rate of car accidents is Dallas, with a rate of 4,200 per 100,000 people.
- Austin – Austin has the third highest rate of car accidents, with a rate of 3,910 per 100,000 people.
- San Antonio – With a car accident rate of 3,640 per 100,000 people, San Antonio has the fourth highest rate of car accidents in Texas.
- Fort Worth – Fort Worth has a car accident rate of 3,590 per 100,000 people, making it the fifth city with the highest rate of car accidents in Texas.
Remember To Always Get Checked After A Car Accident
The best way to stay safe after a car accident is to get checked out by a doctor. While it’s common to not feel any pain or discomfort after a car accident, this doesn’t mean that it’s okay to put off going to the doctor. In fact, more than 50% of people who get into a car accident don’t actually get checked out by a doctor. This is very dangerous.
You may end up with a serious injury that could have been caught if you had only gone to the doctor. So as soon as you’re able, make sure to get checked by your primary care doctor or a car accident chiropractor for a complete diagnosis and personalized treatment plan for your condition.
Contact Affordable Chiropractic in Killeen, Texas today to know more about how chiropractic care treats car accident injuries.